If you’ve ever been in a car accident, then you know just how frantic and nerve-wracking the event can be. Often times, people panic even after minor collisions. When panic sets in, we often forget the important things that need to be taken care of.
Always be sure to get the following information, and perform these tasks, before anyone leaves the site of an accident.
- If anyone is injured, they need to go to a hospital or walk-in clinic as soon as possible, and should follow-up with a primary care physician.
- Call the police so they can file a police report.
- Call the insurance company to report the accident.
- Take photos of damages to yourself; your car; other vehicles involved; road, traffic, and weather conditions; license plates; and any other evidence you may need later on.
- Collect the name, home address, and the phone number of the driver and/or owner of the vehicle, its passengers, and any witnesses at the scene.
- Write down the vehicle make, model, and year of all vehicles involved in the accident.
- Collect the name, address, and policy number of the insurance company of the vehicle owner(s).
- Record the date and time the accident occurred.
- Write down the location of the accident.
Feel free to print this checklist out to keep in your vehicle in case of a car accident, and don’t forget to share this post with your friends and family!